Booksy

Review of small press and independent books.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-08-18 00:20:15

RDGardner

Lob

I haven't actually even read this book yet, mainly due to a serious difference of opinion between my computer and the Guardian Online Bookshop as to who I am, but I'm so excited about it that I'm starting this thread anyway. This is the review that really got me going:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/au … alking-man

because although I'd heard of it already, this one confirmed that it was inspired by the Edward Thomas poem 'Lob', which I adore and which generally gets called on at two o' clock in the morning when Pickleblossom can't sleep. I can't say I've met anyone else who's even heard of it, other than fellow-sufferers of O-level English Lit, and they've all forgotten.

#2 2010-08-18 05:36:32

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Re: Lob

It does sound good - but I'm a bit baffled by the "I assumed he was a tramp because he looked as if he was carrying his belongings in a carrier bag, but he was always on the same stretch of road: heading south" - maybe he had a job?

#3 2010-08-19 14:41:07

RDGardner

...The man was wild
And wandered. His home was where he was free.
Everybody has met one such man as he.
Does he keep clear old paths that no-one uses
But once a lifetime when he loves or muses?
He is English as this gate, these flowers, this mire,
And when, at eight years old, Lob-lie-by-the-fire
Came in my books, this was the man I saw.
He has been in England as long as dove and daw...

#4 2010-09-09 15:47:35

RDGardner

One of these days, this book will finally arrive and get itself reviewed! I think our postman must have been on holiday last week, because instead of popping it down behind the plant pots as usual, whoever came to deliver it took it back to the nearest post office, which is in the next village, and since I was having my car serviced on Friday, my work-at-home day, spent all of Saturday doing Best Beloved's work for him in the Lincolnshire Archives, forgot the delivery notice on Monday when I was in transit between work-at-home in the morning and the office in the afternoon, and have been in the office all working hours ever since, there it was and remains!

Board footer