Booksy

Review of small press and independent books.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-11-02 16:57:17

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Reviewing Reviews

What, in your experience, is the recipe for a good book review?

I've been discussing this with some of our writers from Circaidy Gregory. So far, I feel that a good review is one that leaves me knowing just enough about the writer of the review to understand how and why they related to the book as they did, and just enough about the content of the book to know whether I want to read it. I don't want too much steam coming off the reviewer's opinion of the book or its author and, if it's a fiction book, I certainly don't want the plot of the book. when I write reviews, I have lots of fun trying to give hints and flavours without giving away anything that the reader is going to have fun discovering.

So - advise me please - do you agree with my wish list? And do you have any tips for reviewers, or big black 'what not to do' s.

#2 2008-11-02 18:23:28

Catherine Edmunds
Admin
Website

Re: Reviewing Reviews

I pretty much agree.

***NO SPOILERS!!!***

should be indelibly tattooed on the notepad/pc of anyone attempting to write a review. Other than that, a personal rather than generic response is always more interesting to read, and a few tasters to tempt the reader are welcome.

#3 2010-10-09 15:48:12

Catherine Edmunds
Admin
Website

Hello Flaming. I suggest copy your cookery book review into a new thread in the 'Reader Recommendations' section and include details of the publisher, author(s), and a link to the publisher's site so that people can download the book if they're interested. Thank you.

#4 2010-10-09 16:48:34

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Or in the 'Horses' Mouth' section if it's your own book.

#5 2010-10-11 12:48:07

RDGardner

Mmmm, well... depends on the type of book, really... If it's fiction, I'd like a rough-out of at least the beginning of the plot: a bit of description of the protagonists, their setting, what gets them into the situation that the book's about, that kind of thing. If it's a cookery book, on the other hand, I'd like the reviewer's assurance that he/she has tried at least some of the recipes and they worked and tasted good! Direct quotes, definitely if it's poetry, possibly also for something like a travel memoir, or any work where the reviewer is particularly recommending the luminous beauty of the prose.

Board footer