Booksy

Review of small press and independent books.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-09-28 08:51:22

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Choosing the book of the month for October

Nearly time to choose October's Book of the Month. The chosen book will grace our home page in October and its author and/or publisher will be invited to manage their own section on site to tell the world more about what they are producing. But it's not just about choosing the best book, its about encouraging the noble art of book reviewing (there's a £5 Earlyworks Press book voucher for the writer of the winning review) so please come and help me decide. Which one of the following reviews gave you the most vivid idea of the book it aimed to describe?

2030 The Lottery by Peter Moore reviewed by philipspires

Please Sir, There’s A Snake In The Art Room reviewed by Keith Geddes by philipspires 

WOMEN OF VICTORIAN SUSSEX reviewed by rainbowstrand

The Cypardon by Cyril Parsonage Wheeldon reviewed by rainbowstrand 

The Slow Turning Tide - Hastings in Austerity 1946-1954 by V Seymour reviewed by Kay Green 

Unweaving the Thread by Monica Tracey reviewed by Kay Green

#2 2008-09-28 15:40:36

bintarab

Re: Choosing the book of the month for October

Hiya Kay -- I've been away from Booksy for a while because of other obligations, but I'm grateful for the email reminder about the Book of the Month October season. I've just read these reviews really quick, and I do like them all. But going by the guiding question "Which one of the following reviews gave you the most vivid idea of the book it aimed to describe?" I'm casting my vote for your review of Unweaving the Thread by Monica Tracey.

~bint

#3 2008-09-28 17:35:27

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Hiya, thanks for that - I certainly enjoyed reading 'Unweaving the Thread'. This month though, I am going to vote for 'Please Sir, There’s A Snake In The Art Room reviewed by Keith Geddes by philipspires' - Could be because I've been a pupil and a teacher - but it's the startling appearance of flowering plants that tipped the balance. That doesn't happen to schools too often.

#4 2008-09-29 14:12:21

Catherine Edmunds
Admin
Website

My vote goes to 'The Cypardon' by Cyril Parsonage Wheeldon, reviewed by rainbowstrand. A superb review: fascinating, detailed, entertaining and highly informative.

#5 2008-10-01 05:14:09

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Ah - that's a nice even spread! Anyone else care to throw in an opinion?

#6 2008-10-01 07:45:57

Borrelpeff
Website

Please Sir, There’s A Snake In The Art Room reviewed by Keith Geddes by philipspires   (or am I too late)

#7 2008-10-01 08:48:33

Kay Green
Admin
Website

No, you aren't too late and that puts the Snake in the Art room in the lead. Thread remains open to any further additions until (my) lunchtime (around 1.30pm BST)

#8 2008-10-01 15:01:43

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Okay, 'Please Sir.....' it is. Philip, if you're around, we owe £5sworth of bookness.

Board footer