Booksy

Review of small press and independent books.

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-10 10:46:41

Borrelpeff
Website

Knocking on Doors

An experience most of you will have had, but one worth repeating.

I'm currently approaching relevant magazines who might give my novel some publicity. Yesterday I had an email from This England accepting a piece I had written for them over a year ago (things can move slowly). My book is historical fiction, set in the British Navy in 1797 (real Hornblower stuff, and not totally irrelevant to a mag called "This England"), so I used the acceptance as an opportunity to offer them a copy to review. The assistant editor came back; nice email wishing me luck, but saying they don't review fiction. Normally I would have left it at that, but I replied that it was fiction based on fact, and could really be considered history (there is an American name for it, but I won't use it!). I also sent a press release, and a short piece about writing the novel.

I've just had a request for a copy from the assistant editor, as it is a subject that interests him. He will try and post information about the book now, with a review in either This England or Evergreen in a later issue.

I'm not a natural "pusher" especially when it is something as personal and sensitive as work, but I have found many times that it helps to be a little hard nosed sometimes.

#2 2008-07-10 10:58:33

Terry Sorby
Website

Re: Knocking on Doors

Good luck, go gettum!

#3 2008-07-10 11:29:17

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Re: Knocking on Doors

There's a difference between being pushy and being a good publicist. It's hard, working alone, to get the attention of the people who need to know about the book, so well done there!

Board footer