Booksy

Review of small press and independent books.

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-26 11:41:00

SPI

The Bother in Burmeon by S.P.Moss

Here's a short version of the press release about my retro-style adventure for 9-12s. The Kindle version is available now, the ebook will be available very soon and the paperback will be launched on April 11th:

The Bother in Burmeon: A Boy’s Own Adventure for the 21st century boy – or girl

The Bother in Burmeon, by S.P.Moss, published by Circaidy Gregory Press, will be launched on April 11th at Brooklands Museum, Weybridge. With more than a nod to Biggles and other Boy’s Own classics, it’s a ripping yarn choc-a-block with beasts, bombs, baddies – and some jolly good chaps.

Children have plenty of adventures these days, but most of these take place on-screen, in a virtual world. If things start looking hairy, you can always press the pause button, or go back to the beginning, or simply “play again”. But back in the 20th century, things were different…

Author Susan Moss was inspired to write The Bother in Burmeon while writing a biography of her RAF officer father for friends and family. She says: ‘while I was writing the biography, my young son started asking questions about his granddad, who he had never met. One of those delightful “what if?” questions flitted through my mind and with it, a lost world of danger, dirty deeds and derring-do. The Bother in Burmeon was born.’

Susan won the Earlyworks Press Novels for Children or Teens competition in 2011 and her prize was an advance and publishing contract with Circaidy Gregory Press.

Publisher Kay Green says: ‘What made The Bother in Burmeon number one? There is a subtle magic here. The book matches the demands of modern 9-12s fiction and the main character is very much a 21st century boy but, without interrupting the action, the story speaks eloquently of a long-forgotten beauty – not fantasy, not ancient history, but something you and I had forgotten was magic: a Britain where country roads were bright and welcoming, where cars, motorbikes and aeroplanes – not to mention their pilots – still had an aura of adventure about them. And on top of all that, it’s laugh-aloud funny.’

Where is Burmeon, exactly? Susan says: ‘The Bother in Burmeon is a work of fiction, deliberately set in a fictitious land. There are inevitably holes that could be picked in some of the technical detail, if one wanted to be pedantic. But, for me, it’s a tribute – not just to my father and his generation, but also to the kind of books that I – and quite possibly “Grandpop” himself – loved to read: books that made childhood an adventure.’

The Bother in Burmeon by S.P.Moss
Paperback ISBN 978-1-906451-32-5 ebook 978-1-906451-55-4
Published by Circaidy Gregory Press, April 2012
Orders now being taken: sales@circaidygregory.co.uk

S.P.Moss bother@burmeon.com

For more information, please see www.circaidygregory.co.uk and www.burmeon.com

#2 2012-03-26 23:07:24

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Re: The Bother in Burmeon by S.P.Moss

I'm still loving it! Get your copy now, or you'll never know what a Grandpuncle is!

Board footer