Booksy

Review of small press and independent books.

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-01 16:08:32

Catherine Edmunds
Admin
Website

People's Bookshop, Durham

Finally got round to visiting this super little shop this morning. I sold some books, bought some books, marvelled at the 'historic' staircase that's like a miniature version of the wonky one in Durham Castle, enjoyed a browse in a small but perfectly formed shop, and came away determined to give it a write-up the minute I got home - which is precisely what I'm doing.

The book has a fascinating selection of rare, collectible, extraordinary, familiar, old, new, nostalgic, enlightening, engrossing, unlikely and surprising books, plus a LOT of Tony Benn and John Ruskin et al, but then it is called People's Bookshop rather than 'bookshop for the elite, no proles please'.

So I bought a Ladybird book. No, don't laugh. It's 'Birds of Prey' by John Leigh-Pemberton, one of my favourite artist/illustrators. The book is in excellent condition. Doesn't look like any child was allowed to scribble over it. As an illustrator myself, I look forward to happy hours poring over these lovely pictures.

All the old shops in central Durham City are a bit squashed due to lack of space on the peninsula, so to find this bookshop you have to squeeze up a narrow passageway (Vennel's Yard), go through another shop to locate the narrow wonky staircase, and then keep believing that there really is a bookshop somewhere ahead of you and you're not drunk despite the appearance of the stairs, until you finally reach the third floor where you're greeted with a flood of light, shelves of books, a couple of comfy chairs, and Ben, the charming and helpful proprietor. Definitely worth the effort.

For more useful directions and details, check out their website: http://www.peoplesbookshop.co.uk/

#2 2011-10-01 17:55:17

Kay Green
Admin
Website

Re: People's Bookshop, Durham

Sounds like a dream! Does this Ben come from Seaford at all? There used to be a shop very like your description hiding behind a street of shops there.

#3 2011-10-02 08:01:20

Catherine Edmunds
Admin
Website

Re: People's Bookshop, Durham

Doubt it, but I think if all towns had a Ben running a bookshop, the world would be a better place.

Board footer